I just had the nicest New Year’s Eve dinner party. 8 of our friends came over for a dinner of lentil soup, spinach salad, and Gimme Lean Sausage and mushroom ragu over baked polenta. It turned out well enough for me to pass the recipe on to you. Plus I promised a recipe this week and I want to start the year off right.
Happy New Year to all of you – I wish you only the best this year!
Vegan Sausage Mushroom Ragu
- 1 Tbl. olive oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 package Gimme Lean Sausage
- 2- 28 oz cans of organic crushed tomatoes with basil
- 16 oz crimini mushrooms, chopped
- 2 large portabella mushrooms, chopped
- extra basil to taste (I used 1 ice cube of basil that I froze from the summer)
- 1 Tbl. Italian seasoning
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 Tbl. balsamic vinegar (optional)
- 2 – 3 Tbl red wine (optional)
Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add onions and saute until translucent and add garlic.
In a very large pot add tomatoes and turn heat to medium. Add onions and garlic from skillet. Add chopped mushrooms and cover.
In the same skillet that you cooked the onions, now cook the package of Gimme Lean. Chop it with a large spatula as you cook to break it up into sausage crumbles. Once it begins to brown add to tomato mixture.
Simmer covered for 1 – 3 hours on the stove. You could use a slow cooker and cook it all day if you prefer.
Add water if the sauce becomes too thick, but it is a thick chunky sauce. Serve over pasta, polenta, or use in a lasagna.