Insanely easy. In fact people will think you made a gourmet lasagna from scratch. It takes about 15 minutes to put together in the morning. But it’s worth it to come home to a healthy tasty dinner that’s not your everyday lasagna.
This is a quick and dirty recipe, but if you have more time you can certainly cook your beans, marinara sauce, and pumpkin from scratch.
Vegetarian Slow Cooker Pumpkin White Bean Lasagna
- 1 15 oz. can cooked pumpkin (organic if possible)
- 16oz. ricotta (low fat) (substitute pureed tofu for a vegan option or use Pumpkin Tofu “Ricotta” – recipe below)
- 3/4 package of whole wheat lasagna (I got my at target – it cooks up really well)
- jar organic marinara sauce (I used Bertolli’s and it was really pretty good)
- 1 can cooked white beans (low or no salt is best, and organic if you can find it)
- Handful of sun dried tomatoes minced
You can skip oiling your slow cooker if you’re brave, but it would be best to put a spray or two of olive oil to make the clean up easier later on.
In one bowl mix the ricotta and the entire contents of pumpkin. It will look a little odd, but I promise you it tastes great!
You are going to need to break off the corners of one side on each piece of the lasagna noodles so that they fit snuggly in the crock pot. You can do this now, or as you go – which either one is easiest for you.
You will repeat the following layers until you get about 2 inches from the top of the slow cooker. You can make fewer thicker layers or more thin layers depending on your preference. I like lots of layers myself.
- Spread thin layer of sauce covering the floor of the slow cooker
- Put in a single layer of whole wheat lasagna noodles
- Now spread some of the cheese pumpkin mixture
- Spread another thin layer of sauce
- Put on some of the white beans, trying to keep them spread out instead of clumps
- Sprinkle some of the sun dried tomatoes on top of the beans
Repeat above ending with a last layer of lasagna noodles and top that with sauce.
Cook on low for about 8 hours. It’s ok to leave it longer if you need to.
If you want to top it with shredded mozzarella don’t do it now or it will cook hard and nasty on top. Instead, once the lasagna is ready to eat, top it with shredded cheese and put the whole slow cooker in the oven to melt it.
For a vegan version you can use this as a filling:
Pumpkin Tofu “Ricotta”
- 1 container tofu
(soft or firm)
- 1 15 oz. can organic pumpkin
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
(optional, adds a more cheesy flavor)
- 1 Tb. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. onion powder
(or 1/2 tsp onion salt and leave out the extra salt)
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
(or 1/2 tsp garlic powder)
- 1 Tb olive oil
- 3 sun dried tomatoes, re-hydrated
(pour boiling water over them and let them sit for a few minutes)
- salt and pepper to taste
In a food processor blend the olive oil and sun dried tomatoes until you have a paste. (It’s ok if there are still some lumps in it). Add the rest of the ingredients, blend until creamy. Add a little water if you need to thin the mixture. Taste and adjust seasonings.