This was my one of my favorite meals from last week’s menu plan. And it was my lunch for today, I love leftovers!
I used this recipe as a base, but as usual went off in my own direction. My only complaint about the recipe is the directions aren’t quite right, so I’ll give you the step by step of what I did.
This recipe makes a ton, but you can freeze some for one of those days that you can’t bare to think about cooking dinner.
Vegan Sausage Tempeh Jambalaya
- 1 package tempeh cubed
- 2 cups not-chicken broth (or substitute)
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco or hot sauce of your choice
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning – no or low sodium if possible (make your own with these recipes)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 – 4 Tbl. olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, minced
- 1 yellow or green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 orange or red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cayenne or other hot pepper blend
- 1 package boca vegetarian sausages
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cup rice
- Marinate the tempeh overnight (or a couple of hours) in a mixture of the chicken-less broth, hot sauce, garlic, and cajun seasoning. If you are using seasoning that has a ton of salt like Tony Chachere’s, make sure you are not making the marinade too salty. I really recommend making your own spice blend.
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large pot that has a lid. It needs to be a pot large enough to hold the rice and all the liquid, as you will cook everything in this one pan.
- Drain the tempeh and reserve the liquid, we will use it later in the recipe.
- Brown the tempeh and set aside.
- Add more olive oil if needed and saute the onion until translucent, then add the bell peppers. Saute for about 5 more minutes.
- Put in a total of 3 cups of liquid – a combination of the stock you marinated the tempeh in and added water to make up the difference.
- Put the tempeh, sausage, black pepper, can of diced tomatoes, and rice all in the pan. Mix well.
- Now is a good time to adjust the seasonings if you want to make it hotter. Of course, you can do this right before serving.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Take a peek and cook for 10 minutes more if needed.
Serve with hot sauce on the side and a big salad.