A great way to hide veggies from the haters! If you have a household of veggie lovers you don’t have to mince all the veggies, it’s just to allow them to disappear more in the chili.
Also if you don’t have any kidney beans, black or pintos would work too. You could also cook your beans in the slow cooker overnight to use in this recipe instead of canned.
Vegan Slow Cooker Veggie Mole Chili – serves 8
- 1 large (20 + oz) can of Trader Joe’s cooked kidney beans or 2 regular cans
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 1 yellow squash, minced
- 1 small eggplant, minced
- 1 handful kale or other greens chopped finely
- 1 handful mushrooms, minded
- 1 can diced tomatoes (I used one with lime and green chilies)
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 t powdered chilies or cayenne – if you don’t like spicy foods start with less
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- 1/2 t orange rind, finely grated
- 1 Tbl. good cocoa powder or grate some unsweetened chocolate
Ok, put all of the above into your slow cooker. You may want to add about 1/2 cup filtered water if the mixture looks too dry. Remember that the veggies will put out some of their liquids as it cooks.
Cook on low for 8 – 10 hours. try this as a filling in burritoes or enchiladas to hide the veggies even more.
I hope you enjoy it!